Wesley Junior College students charged with gun theft from police Print E-mail
( 0 Votes )
Written by Administrator   
Thursday, 28 January 2016 00:00

Wesley Junior College students Stradni Alvert Cassasola, 19, and his classmate Demrey Emaury Lewis, 19, are out on bail after spending three nights on remand for offenses of keeping an unlicensed firearm and ammunition which turned out to have been stolen from the Belize Police Department. The Fabers Road Extension residents were granted Supreme Court bail by Justice Antoinette Moore on Friday, January 22. 

The men first appeared in court on Tuesday, January 19, before Senior Magistrate Sharon Frazer and were denied bail due to the nature of the offenses. Police claim that on Monday, Janaury 18, they met the duo inside a vehicle on Gibson Street and conducted a search on them and the vehicle. Inside a bag they found a loaded Taurus brand 9 millimeter pistol. Cassasola told the court that he is working with the police department as an employee of the Ministry of National Security and he took the gun home by mistake. Cassasola said that he went to visit his friend Cecil Ramirez in prison and couldn’t take the gun inside so he left it with a police vest inside his vehicle. When he returned to work he got busy with other duties and left work without leaving the gun. However, police say that they set chase after Cassasola in a black car after he tried to evade them on Chetumal Street. Police caught up with them on Gibson Street and Cassasola said he had nothing to declare. A search of the vehicle led to the discovery of a bag inside which contained the gun and ammunitions in its magazine. Both were arrested and charged.

After they were remanded to the Belize Central Prison on Tuesday, January 9, Justice Moore granted bail in the sum of $4,000 plus one surety of the same amount each which they were able to meet. They were then taken back to the Magistrates Court where they were additionally charged with theft of the gun and handling stolen goods. The men were represented in court by Attorney Kathleen Lewis and pleaded not guilty to the charges. They are due back in court on March 11, 2016.