Troy Hyde to stand trial for Robbery’s murder Print E-mail
( 0 Votes )
Written by Administrator   
Thursday, 11 February 2016 00:00

A Preliminary Inquiry in the courtroom of Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith on Tuesday, February 9, determined that Troy Hyde, 27, will stand trial for the murder of notorious George Street associate Kareem Lopez, also known as Robbery. Lopez was gunned down and killed on Central American Boulevard on Saturday night, January 3, 2015. Lopez went to buy at a fast food shop at the corner of Central American and Jane Usher Boulevard at about 10:15 p.m. on Saturday but before he could leave the area he was ambushed by multiple men. One of them pulled out a handgun and emptied the clip into his head and body from close range, making sure he was dead. Police responded to the scene shortly after but Lopez had already expired. A postmortem examination concluded that he died of “severe brain injury due to Traumatic fracture of skull due to multiple gunshots to the head”. Lopez was 28-years-old. He was well known to police and was charged for numerous violent crimes; including, gun possession, causing public terror with a firearm, gang affiliation and murder. There were numerous threats on his life but he managed to escape with some very close calls until that Saturday night on Central American Boulevard.

Police detained individuals of interest from the shooting just hours after. 27-year-old Troy Hyde was charged with the murder on Monday, January 5, 2015, and has been on remand since. Hyde appeared in court for the Preliminary Inquiry with his attorney Sheena Pitts. The prosecutor in the case, Inspector Pablo Pikney, presented a number of documents to the court; including, as many as 11 statements from witnesses. Hyde’s attorney did not challenge any of the evidence submitted in court. Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith ruled that the prosecution had established a prema facie case and Hyde will have to stand trial at the April session of the Supreme Court, set to commence on April 26, 2016.

The case against Hyde was almost thrown out on multiple occasions. In December 2015 and January 2016, Chief Magistrate Anne Marie Smith threatened to throw out the case because disclosure had not yet been presented to Hyde. Hyde received disclosure late January of 2016, more than a year after his arrest and remand.