Banner
53-year-old charged with indecent assault of 15 year-old girl Print E-mail
( 1 Vote )
Written by Administrator   
Friday, 25 October 2013 00:00

Medardo CocomOn Tuesday, October 22nd, 53-year-old Medardo Cocom, a resident of Belize City was charged in court for inappropriately touching a 15-year-old girl. Cocom, who was unrepresented appeared before Chief Magistrate, Anne Marie Smith where he was read a single charge of aggravated assault of an indecent nature upon a 15-year-old girl.

Allegations are that on Friday, October 18, Cocom, according to the minor, committed an aggravated assault of an indecent nature against her when he rubbed his right hand down her breast.

In court, Cocom pleaded not guilty to the offense and bail was offered to him in the sum of $1000. Prosecutor in the case, Sgt. Egbert Castillo expressed concern over the proximity that Cocom lives to the victim. Chief Magistrate then asked Cocom if he could relocate until the case is disposed of. Cocom, however, said he had nowhere else to go. But when faced with either being remanded to prison or relocating, Cocom was quick to provide an address for a male relative whose home he told the court he will be able to move in.

The Chief Magistrate, Anne Marie Smith, also ordered Cocom to make sure he remains at the home of the male relative until the case is disposed of and that he reports to the Queen Street Police Station every Monday effective next week Monday, October 28, 2013, and that he is not to go anywhere near the victim.

Earlier on Tuesday, Cocom was bound over to keep the peace by Magistrate Dale Cayetano for slapping a 15-year-old minor back in May of this year. Magistrate Cayetano also bound the victim in the case to keep the peace for 6 months in default they are to pay $500 each.

The ruling against Cocom was from an alleged incident in which the minor claimed that Cocom had slapped her.